White House press secretary Sean Spicer announced Monday that President Trump will donate his first quarter salary to the National Park Service.
“The President has spoken with counsel and made the decision to donate his first quarter salary in total to a government entity, and he has chosen this quarter to donate it to the National Park Service,” Spicer said during his daily briefing.
He added that Trump was “personally proud” to contribute his salary from the first quarter to the service’s “important mission.”
Spicer then turned to Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke and handed over a check addressed to the National Park Service in the amount of $78,333.32, which is from the first quarter since Trump has been in office.
Zinke stated that donations will be used to maintain historic battlefield sites.
During the briefing, one reporter asked, “Is that after taxes?” Spicer replied, “No. It’s straight up. It’s every penny that the President received from the first quarter.”
While Trump was campaigning, he frequently pledged that he would not take the president’s $400,000 salary, if he were to be elected.
Spicer reiterated Trump’s promise to not take a salary and his plans to donate the funds. He even called on the press to offer suggestions on where the president should donate his salary.
“The president’s intention right now is to donate his salary at end of the year, and he has kindly asked you all determine where that goes,” Spicer said at a briefing last month.
H/T: The Hill
"BUILD THE WALL" bumper stickers now on sale. (BUY NOW)
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
‘Nuclear showdown’ looms as Gorsuch nomination advances