Director Oliver Stone has denied allegations leveled against him by actress Melissa Gilbert. The “Little House On The Prairie” star said Stone was guilty of singling her out in retribution for a social slight, asking her to act out a humiliating sex scene during an audition. Stone says she perceived the situation the wrong way.
On Monday, doing an interview with Andy Cohen on his SiriusXM “Radio Andy” show, actress Gilbert, 53, said Stone sexually harassed her during an audition years ago, when she was auditioning for a role in the 1991 film “The Doors.” Stone told her that he had something “special” for her to read, beyond the many scenes she’d already read trying to land the role.
Stone asked Gilbert to do a scene for him “physically, in the casting room,” she said, which was sexual in nature. She said he wanted her to both read and act it out with an actor to “see the chemistry.” The scene included “dirty” sexual verbiage and required Gilbert to be on her knees, she recalled. (Listen to her describe it HERE.) She called it “humiliating” and “horrid.”
She believes the special request was in retaliation for another incident which had occurred previously, in which she’d called the director a name while disagreeing with him in public.
Stone, 71, told the New York Daily News in a statement that before Gilbert auditioned, she would have been made aware of the scene’s contents. He also said his casting director would have been present to ensure a “safe environment.”
Stone reportedly said, “We auditioned dozens of actors for roles in ‘The Doors’ and it was made clear from the outset that our film was going to be a raunchy, no-holds-bared rock ‘n’ roll movie.”
“Anyone auditioning was told the scenes would be rehearsed and performed from a script,” Stone continued, “with my casting director, Risa Bramon Garcia, present throughout the process to ensure a safe environment for all actors who auditioned.”
Garcia confirmed Stones account, and claimed that no actor was “forced to do anything” they may have found uncomfortable, according to her estimation, and that Stone did not purposely target Gilbert.
“Every actor who auditioned came in voluntarily and was aware of the provocative material prior to engaging in their scenes,” Garcia reportedly said. “No actor was forced or expected to do anything that might have been uncomfortable, and most actors embraced the challenge, recognizing Oliver Stone’s vision and the creative process. In my experience, there was no attempt to personally offend any particular actor.”
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
NFL owners considering change in national anthem policy