High school freshman Ian Brown is being hailed a hero after saving a fellow classmate from choking in the school lunchroom Wednesday.
While students were eating lunch at the Central High School in La Crosse, Wisconsin Wednesday, Will Olson began choking on his food.
The incident, caught on the school’s surveillance camera, showed the students around Olson first just ignoring his coughing, not realizing it was serious. But Brown, sitting across the table from him, had learned the Heimlich maneuver as part of a first aid training class with the La Crossee Police Department, and recognized there was a problem.
Brown got up and performed the life-saving maneuver on his fellow classmate, until the food was dislodged.
Local 23 ABC News reported on the incident and included an interview with Brown. He said his first thought was, “if this doesn’t work, what do I do next?”
In another interview with the two students, Olson said he definitely believes Brown saved his life.
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Racecar driver killed in Florida crash