The following stories were reported to us by Team DML. To join the team, go to www.facebook.com/groups/TeamDML
1. Dr. Phil says he rescues people from addiction. Others say his show puts guests’ health at risk: America’s best-known television doctor presents himself as a crusader for recovery who rescues people from their addictions — and even death. But in its pursuit of ratings, the “Dr. Phil” show has put at risk the health of some of those guests it purports to help, according to people who have been on the show and addiction experts. Guests have been left without medical help as they face withdrawal from drugs, a STAT/Boston Globe investigation has found, and one person said she was directed by a show staff member to an open-air drug market to find heroin for her detoxing niece.
While McGraw has been buffeted by controversy and lawsuits since he broke out as a celebrity on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” two decades ago, the show’s handling of guests seeking treatment for substance abuse disorders has largely escaped scrutiny.
McGraw declined an interview request through a “Dr. Phil” show representative. Martin Greenberg, a psychologist who serves as the show’s director of professional affairs, said guests have never been provided alcohol or directed to where to buy drugs. READ MORE
2. New Jersey teacher violently attacked while trying to break up fight: Four people are facing criminal charges after a fist fight ended with a high school teacher in New Jersey getting attacked.
The attack happened in North Bergen, and the observers did nothing, except record it all and post it on social media. The teacher, who only wants to go by ‘Lou,’ is a long-time Social Studies teacher at North Bergen High School. MORE + VIDEO
3. CNN Falsely Claims ‘Never-Trump’ Republicans Funded Fake Dossier: A CNN correspondent falsely claimed the “Trump dossier” was funded by the ‘never-Trump’ Republicans. On Wednesday, Evan Perez said the dossier was paid for by anti-trump Republicans first, and subsequently by the DNC and the Clinton campaign.
However, Perez reportedly has close ties with Fusion GPS, which is the firm behind the fake dossier. READ MORE
4. Apple apologizes for slowing down iPhones with older batteries: Apple apologized Thursday for slowing down iPhones with older batteries without disclosing the practice to customers until last week.
In a public letter, the company said, “We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down. We apologize.”
Apple said it will cut the price for iPhone battery replacements, from $79 to $29 for customers with an iPhone 6 or newer model starting in January 2018. The company also said it will update iOS in early 2018 with a new feature that lets users get a reading of their battery’s health and decide if they need to replace it. Replacing an iPhone’s battery with a fresh one should keep it running at normal speed. READ MORE
5. Child in central NC dies as a result of the flu: Three new flu deaths, including the death of a child, were reported in North Carolina last week, bringing the total number of deaths for the season so far to 12, according to numbers released Thursday by the North Carolina Department of Health.
The child, who lived in central North Carolina, is the first pediatric death reported in the state for the 2017-2018 flu season. According to the Centers for Disease Control and prevention, nine pediatric flu deaths have been reported across the country as of Dec. 16. READ MORE
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Four Ohio teens charged with murder after fatal “prank” (video)