A 14-year-old girl from Texas was killed while holding her cellphone in a bathtub.
Madison Coe, a north Texas resident, was electrocuted when she grabbed it while it was already charging, her grandmother told reporters.
“There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone,” grandmother Donna O’Guinn said. “And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened.”
Madison was visiting her father in Lovington, N.M., when she died Sunday.
She just graduated from Terra Vista Middle School in Lubbock, Texas, where she played basketball and the tuba.
“It is with heavy hearts that Frenship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe,” her school district said in a statement. “We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together.”
Madison’s family planned relocate to Houston, where she would have attended high school, one news outlet reported.
O’Guinn said her family wants to use Madison’s untimely death as a cautionary tale.
“This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else,” she expressed. “And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging.”
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Man invents box that is changing people’s lives for the better