Terror Attack Strikes Istanbul Soccer Stadium

Just outside a soccer stadium in Istanbul, Turkey Saturday, a car bomb exploded, targeting a busload of riot police officers who were just leaving the stadium.

UPDATE: 11:30 PM EST:   Authorities have now confirmed that 29 people were killed in the attack, and another 166 were wounded.   All but two of the dead were police officers.   A car bomb was first detonated by remote control, then 45 seconds later, a suicide bomber exploded.  

The terror attack reportedly occurred hours after a soccer game had concluded between Besiktas and Bursaspor, two of Turkey’s top teams, after most of the fans had already dispersed.

Two explosions were reported, and a police bus filled with riot policeman just leaving the stadium was reported to be the target.

ABC News reported that Turkish Transport Minister Ahmet Arslan said the explosion was a terrorist attack.

Initial reports are that around 40 people were wounded, and up to 13 people were killed.

The two explosions were reported to have been launched by suicide bombers, one at the stadium and another one in nearby Macka Park, according to The Sun, who said a suspicious package was also later detonated in the same area.

The Turkish prime minister’s office has imposed a temporary broadcast ban on news of the blast.

Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said the stadium explosion was a ‘cruel plot’ and appeared to have been caused by a car bomb targeting a riot police bus.

“A car packed with explosives is believed to have exploded where our riot squad was deployed shortly after the football fans dispersed following the match,” he said.

“The attack targeted the riot police’s bus.”

terror-turkey-soccer-5 terror-turkey-soccer-2 terror-turkey-soccer-1







 

Comment via Facebook

 

Comment via Disqus

Send this to friend