According to a Fox News Poll released on Wednesday, voters believe President Trump is ahead of the majority of previous presidents on fulfilling campaign promises, and the most voters in over a decade see an improving economy. But that is not enough for those surveyed to rate Trump’s job performance positively.
Approval of Trump’s overall job performance has sunk five percentage points. Currently, 43% of voters approve, while 51% disapprove. In February it was 48-47 percent.
The poll revealed that 48% of voters feel that the economy is “getting better,” the highest percentage since the question was first asked in 2003. A mere five months ago, 48% of voters felt the economy was worse. The economy is the area where Trump received his most positive job rating with 47% of voters approving, and 44% disapproving. Optimism in the economy is up 54 points among Republicans, and has dropped 29 points among Democrats since October.
Regarding terrorism, immigration, and foreign affairs:
- 45-48 approve of how the president is handling terrorism.
- Voters appear much more disapproving of how he is dealing with immigration with only 41% approving of his efforts.
- A 54% majority disapproves of the president’s revised executive order delaying travel by visitors from six majority-Muslim countries to the United States.
- The percentage of voters that feel the travel ban makes the U.S. safer dropped by eight points since last month and is now 34%.
- 55% of voters disapprove of America’s relationship with Russia.
The poll also asked voters how they felt about Trump’s tweeting:
- One-third of Trump voters, or 35%, approve of his tweeting–while only 16 percent of all voters approve.
- The rest of voters either disapprove (50%) or “wish he’d be more careful” with his tweets (32%).
Regarding the fact that the president has no previous political experience:
- 51-38 feel that being a non-politician has hurt rather than helped Trump do his job as president.
- Those who backed Hillary Clinton in the election overwhelmingly disapprove of Trump’s job performance at 93% with a large majority (84%) who believe his lack of political experience is a negative.
- Among Trump voters, 93% approve of his performance along with 81% who feel being a non-politician has helped him do his job.
While the parties often disagree about most topics, there is significant agreement among Democrats, Republicans, and Independents regarding top priorities for the president.
Democratic Pollster Chris Anderson, who conducts the Fox News Poll with Republican counterpart Daron Shaw, said, “The only significant difference in priorities is that just nine percent of voters overall pick putting a Constitutionalist to the Supreme Court, but it’s the top choice for 19 percent of Republicans. Just 8 percent of Independents and 2 percent of Democrats feel that way.”
By a 45-39% margin, voters would confirm President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch.
While growing the economy has increased optimism on some levels, a majority of voters still believe that the world is “going to hell in a handbasket.” Fifty-four percent feel that way, down just a few points from 57% in 2016 and 58% in 2014.
H/T: Fox News
JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
West Palm Beach VA sees veterans rally in support of Trump, Schulkin