Tuesday, President-elect Donald Trump tweeted, “There should be no further releases from Gitmo. These are extremely dangerous people and should not be allowed back onto the battlefield.”
His tweet was pretty straightforward for those who agree that the world’s worst terrorists should pay the ultimate price and that no chances should be taken by moving them.
With Tuesday’s tweet, Trump does not appear to be backing away from his initial stance regarding Guantanamo Bay.
“This morning, I watched President Obama talking about Gitmo,” he said during his campaign trail. “Which by the way, we are keeping open. Which we are keeping open … and we’re gonna load it up with some bad dudes, believe me, we’re gonna load it up.”
In an interview with the Washington Examiner, Pentagon spokesman, Peter Cook said, “As we have discussed previously here, we are going to carry out the appropriate policies as set forth by the commander in chief with regard to Guantánamo Bay, and the secretary of defense will carry out his unique responsibilities with regard to the review of people who have been previously determined to be eligible to release.”
In other words, Cook responded to Trump’s tweet by saying, “There is one commander in chief at a time.”
The Examiner noted that Republicans are furious over the issue, as they believe Obama makes these decisions without consulting the legislative branch.
The public will have to wait until January 20 for Trump to be heard at the Pentagon.
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
GOP Backs Out on “Closed Doors” Amendment