Since Mike Dubke resigned as White House communications director in May, the role has been left vacant, but rumors started swirling Thursday when a report came out that a new appointment was about to be made.
According to Axios, Trump is about to appoint Wall Street financier Anthony Scaramucci, who had conducted fundraising for Scott Walker and Jeb Bush during the primaries but became a major donor to Trump during the general election campaign, to the role.
Scaramucci, 53, is currently the chief strategy officer of the Export-Import Bank, having sold his stake in his hedge fund, SkyBridge Capital, earlier this year.
Axios cited “two sources familiar with the planning” but listed no names to confirm their report about Scaramucci.
NBC News reported Thursday night that “four sources in and close to the White House” said Scaramucci was about to be announced for the role, adding that Scaramucci met with President Trump and his daughter in the Oval Office Thursday and Trump had offered him the job.
However, DailyMail political editor David Martosko sent out a Twitter announcement throwing cold water on the story, saying, “Trump administration official tells me this morning that the expected Scaramucci appointment to comms director job is not happening.”
Trump administration official tells me this morning that the expected Scaramucci appointment to comms director job is not happening.
— David Martosko (@dmartosko) July 21, 2017
In a Fox News interview Friday morning, Kellyanne Conway said Scaramucci is an asset “inside or outside of the White House,” but said she will “leave it to the president to make any announcements.”
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
The DNC is facing big money problems