The list of lawmakers who will not attend the inauguration on Friday is growing rapidly. The list now includes 59 names.
Below is the list. At the very bottom is a sneak preview of an interview to air tomorrow on Fox News of Donald Trump responding to the people who are not attending.
3) Rep. Don Beyer (D-Va.)
5) Rep. Brendan Boyle (D-Pa.)
6) Rep. Anthony G. Brown (D-Md.)
7) Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-N.C.)
8) Rep. Tony Cardenas (D-Calif.)
“After serious consideration, I have decided that I will not stand with Donald Trump during his ceremonial inauguration . . . I feel this decision best represents my family, constituents, and country,” Cardenas said in a statement.
9) Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-Tex.)
“Donald Trump has shown an utter lack of respect for so many Americans. His attack on civil rights hero John Lewis is the latest example. I will not attend this year’s inauguration ceremony,” Castro said in a statement.
10) Rep. Judy Chu (D-Calif.)
11) Rep. Katherine M. Clark (D-Mass.):
26) Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva (D-Ariz.)
27) Rep. Luis V. Gutiérrez (D-Ill.):
28) Rep. Alcee L. Hastings (D-Fla.)
29) Rep. Jared Huffman (D-Calif.)
30) Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.)
31) Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.)
32) Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.):
33) Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.)
34) Rep. Dan Lipinski (D-Ill.)
35) Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.):
“I acknowledge the fact that he is the incoming president, but I’m not in the mood to celebrate that fact,” Lofgren told the Los Angeles Times.
36) Rep. Jerry McNerney (D-Calif.)
37) Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.)
38) Rep. Grace F. Napolitano (D-Calif.)
39) Rep. Donald Payne Jr. (D-N.J.)
“I will not celebrate [Trump’s] swearing-in to an office that he has proven unfit to hold,” Payne said in a statement.
40) Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-Maine)
41) Rep. Mark Pocan (D-Wis.)
42) Rep. Mike Quigley (D-Ill.)
43) Rep. Jamie B. Raskin (D-Md.)
“I cannot risk my presence at his inauguration being interpreted as any kind of endorsement of the normality of our situation. I will not attend the inauguration,” Raskin said in a statement.
44) Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-Calif.)
45) Rep. Raul Ruiz (D-Calif.)
“A real president doesn’t attack the press because they ask tough questions,” Ruiz told the Desert Sun. “A real president doesn’t insult and bully celebrities or everyday Americans because they disagree with him.”
46) Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.)
“I’m just not a big Trump fan,” Schrader told Oregon Public Broadcasting. “He hasn’t proved himself to me at all yet, so I respectfully decline to freeze my ass out there in the cold for this particular ceremony.”
47) Rep. Carol Shea-Porter (D-N.H.)
48) Rep. José E. Serrano (D-N.Y.)
49) Rep. Louise M. Slaughter (D-N.Y.)
50) Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.)
51) Rep. Darren Soto (D-Fla.)
“I am deeply disappointed with Trump’s attacks against civil rights hero John Lewis and will not be attending the inauguration as a result,” Soto told Orlando ABC affiliate WFTV-Channel 9.
52) Rep. Mark Takano (D-Calif.)
53) Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.)
54) Rep. Juan Vargas (D-Calif.)
55) Rep. Nydia M. Velázquez (D-N.Y.)
56) Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.)
57) Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-N.J.)
58) Rep. Frederica S. Wilson (D-Fla.)
59) Rep. John Yarmuth (D-Ky.):
“For the last ten weeks, President-elect Trump has continually denigrated the office of the President by using his bully pulpit for insult and ridicule,” Yarmuth said in a statement. “This is not normal. It is an embarrassment to our country and to the office of the presidency, and we must send the message that this behavior is not acceptable from the leader of our nation. Not attending the Inauguration is one way for me to do that.”
Below is the interview with Donald Trump set to air on Fox tomorrow morning.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Ashley Judd’s Social Media Rant Over Racist Emojis