At least four people have died in the pedestrian walkway collapse in Miami, Florida Thursday, according to Miami-Dade Fire Chief Dave Downey who said the deceased had not yet been identified.

The Florida Highway Patrol had already reported multiple fatalities from the collapse, which crushed 8 vehicles under a walkway that weighed 950 tons and was 174 feet long, according to Florida International University (FIU).

The collapse occurred at FIU’s campus at around 2 p.m. Thursday, and according to Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue, there were workers on the bridge and several cars underneath when the pedestrian walkway collapsed.

At press conference Thursday evening, Miami-Dade Fire Chief Dave Downey said that at least four people were killed by the collapse. The deceased had not yet been identified.

NBC News reports: Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Division Chief Paul Estopinan had earlier said emergency workers found eight vehicles trapped under the bridge. He noted that authorities planned to continue search and rescue throughout the night.

“We could only see eight [vehicles] from the exterior of the bridge,” Estopinan said, adding that he did not know how many total cars might be affected. “We are creating holes just so that we can physically see [if there are others].”

The report continues: Ten patients were brought to the Kendall Regional Medical Center after the accident, the hospital said: Two were in critical condition and eight suffered minor injuries that ranged from bruises to broken bones.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott said he had spoken to Miami-Dade County Police Chief Juan Perez, saying he would remain “in constant communication with law enforcement throughout the day.”

He later gave remarks from the ground in Florida (see video’s below).

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) called it a “horrifying tragedy.”

Both Rubio and Scott said there would be a thorough investigation.

“There will be an exhaustive review that will give details at an engineering and scientific level,” said Rubio.

“If anyone has done anything wrong we will hold them accountable,” said Gov. Scott.

President Donald Trump tweeted about the collapse, saying he was praying for everyone involved.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here