Sheriff Joe Lombardo held a press conference Monday in Las Vegas, Nevada to discuss the status of the investigation into the shooting that took place last week which left 59 people dead and over 450 injured.
The sheriff said interviews with the shooter’s girlfriend continue as authorities try to piece together the motive behind the deadliest mass shooting in US history.
The sheriff indicated that the investigation has turned up no evidence that a second shooter was involved. They’ve also tracked 200 instances in which the shooter traveled within Nevada, and never once did he meet with a second person. Thus, indicating that the shooter acted alone in both the execution and planning stages.
There is no evidence showing the shooter had any links to terror groups or religious ideologies.
Working with the FBI, the sheriff says they do not see one event in the shooter’s life that influenced the shooting. “There is not one specific event in the suspect’s like for us to key on,” said Lombardo. He continued by saying the belief is the shooter wanted to kill people and carried out a very “purposeful plan.”
The biggest bombshell of information came when the sheriff said the Mandalay Bay security guard was shot 6 minutes before the shooter’s first shots were fired at crowd. This marks a significant change in timeline, and presents new questions about when the shooter decided to start targeting victims.
The security guard was called to the floor to inspect an alarm that went off indicating there was an opened door that should have been kept shut.
When pressed by reporters about why the story is changing, the sheriff turned a bit abrupt and said the information is subject to change because it’s an ongoing investigation, and that although there are changes in the timeline, it does not impact the most important parts of the case.
Las Vegas sheriff says no evidence was found of a second shooter, or of a link with terrorist groups or ideologies https://t.co/1HW4XTbGCT
— CNN (@CNN) October 9, 2017
— ABC News (@ABC) October 9, 2017
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Registered sex offender seeks seat on city council