Upsetting details about Stockholm truck attacker emerge, second suspect arrested

Two suspects have been arrested in the truck attack on shoppers in Stockholm on Friday, and it’s been discovered that one of them was a rejected asylum-seeker from Uzbekistan. According to Swedish police, he dodged authorities’ attempts to deport him by giving them the wrong address, reported the AP.

Stockholm police spokesman Jan Evensson told reporters “The 39-year-old suspect’s request for a residence permit was rejected in June 2016 but police could not find him to send him back to his native country because he was not at the address he had given. On Feb. 24, he was formally sought after by Swedish police.”

“We know he has been sympathetic to extremist organizations,” said Jonas Hysing of Sweden’s national police, refusing to name the suspect, who had been arrested hours after Friday’s attack.

A second suspect was arrested on Sunday in connection with the truck attack case, and four others have been detained as well.

According to Evensson, authorities have already questioned more than 500 people about the attack, which killed four, including a British man, a Belgian woman and two Swedes.

Of the 15 people wounded in the attack, ten remained hospitalized, including one child.

One woman, an 83-year-old Romanian beggar who was injured in the attack, said that she was “surprised” that people on the street came to her aid. “I thought everyone would run past me and save themselves,” said Papusa Ciuraru, whose foot was crushed by a boulder as a result of the attack. She added that the people screaming around her made her think that “a war was going on.”

Shaped like lions, large boulders had been placed strategically on the streets of the Stockholm shopping district to deter such an attack, since the truck attack that killed 12 people at a Christmas market in Berlin last year.

A famous Ahlens Swedish department store that was rammed and caught on fire in Friday’s truck attack walked back its previous announcement that it would reopen two days later to sell damaged goods at a “reduced price.” Owners said their motivation “was born out of the idea of standing up for transparency and not allowing evil forces take control of our lives,” but they now realize that this was a bad idea and will reopen on Monday “without any damaged goods.”

Police held raids overnight, and Sweden’s SAPO security police said it was working to find “any abettor or network involved in the attack.”

“We have a lot of people who are being taken to police offices throughout Stockholm for questioning,” said police spokesman Kjell Lindgren. “(We are doing) all the things that are necessary to make a good investigation. That means we are going to continue to check objects, people, vehicles and so on.”

A massive makeshift memorial made of thousands of flowers had to be relocated to a nearby square after threatening to collapse the fence it was leaning against near the department store.

Thousands of people have converged upon to the Stockholm crash site to pay their respects to the victims, according to reports, including the prime minister, government officials and Sweden’s crown princess.

H/T: Associated Press

If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).

To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.







 

Comment via Facebook

Send this to a friend