US has spent more in Iraq and Afghanistan that it did in Europe after WW II.
The American taxpayers have gotten a very poor return on their investment. Most of the reconstruction funds for Afghanistan have been lost to waste, fraud, abuse and corruption. A large portion of the country is still unprotected and unstable, and almost one third is under the Taliban control once again.
After the $113 Billion the U.S. spent in Afghanistan, President Obama has requested an additional $4.8 billion for major reconstructions there for the 2017 fiscal year budget.
The New York Post reports that American military personnel are mostly confined to the US Embassy and have to take a helicopter to get to the airport because the roads laden with bombs, ambushes and hit and run assaults.
Here are some of the findings in a recent report to Congress from the Defense Department:
- $5 Billion per year spent to build up a national army and police force in Afghanistan, yet neither the US nor the Afghan allies know how many Afghan soldiers and police actually exist. Many are AWOL, yet still collecting pay.
- More than $200 million to buy fuel for army vehicles has gone missing.
- Another half-billion dollars was wasted buying a fleet of second-hand Air Force cargo planes that were deemed too dangerous to fly.
- More than $1 million was spent building and rebuilding army buildings that “melted” in the rain and crumbled because of substandard bricks and other materials.
- About $32 million to install steel bars in culverts to prevent the Taliban from placing bombs under roads was also largely wasted.
- $8.4 billion spent on counter-narcotics programs, yet the poppy fields of Helmand province have largely been reclaimed by the Taliban, which sells opium to finance terrorism.
- $1 billion spent promoting Western-style democracy and human rights, yet harsh religious mandates still dominate Afghanistan, where Islamic law is still considered the supreme law. Girls are still forced into marriage with older men, women are still jailed for “moral crimes,” and both remain wrapped up in the oppressive burka.
- Despite spending $760 million improving Afghan education, moreover, 3.5 million primary-school-age children — 75% of them girls — remain out of school. Recently, some 714 schools were closed.
- $800 million invested to promote businesses have been a joke, and have done little to “spur economic growth” in Afghanistan.
- $6.1 million in the development of a “Cashmere goat industry” that’s already flopped.
American taxpayers have nothing left to show for the money spent – and neither does the country from whom it was spent.
The New York Post says, “Trump is right – time to stop nation-building overseas and start rebuilding the USA.”
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
New Report Indicates Middle Class Incomes Drop Significantly