Veteran Dies with Maggots in Wound

A VA hospital veteran and patient has died and maggots were found in his wounds.

The Daily Caller reported that Owen Peterson, 73,  came to the medical center with an infection, but then ended up with sepsis, which he later died from. Upon examination, live maggots were found in his open wounds.

Raymie Parker, the son of Owen Peterson, could not believe  how horribly his father was treated while under the VA care. facility.

Parker stated that, “During the 21 days I was there, … I pled with the medical staff, the senior medical staff, to increase his meds so his bandages could be changed,” Parker told Tulsa World. “I was met with a stonewall for much of that time.”

veteran-ok-peterson-1

Although most of the staff ignored him, he did say the nurses were excellent and he personally blames the senior administrators and the system as a whole.

The VA hospital’s director, Myles Deering, who also serves as secretary for the Oklahoma Department of Veteran Affairs, did confirm the maggots didn’t enter the wound after the patient died on Oct. 3, and was present while the patient was still alive. She did say that the patient did not die from the maggots themselves, but rather from sepsis.

Four staff members at the VA hospital involved; a physician’s assistant and three nurses had to resign over this tragic incident.

 

 







 

Comment via Facebook

 

Comment via Disqus

Send this to a friend