Below is a report that DML News gives a 4 OUT OF 4 STARS trustworthiness rating. We base this rating on the following criteria:

  • Provides named sources
  • Reported by more than one notable outlet
  • Does not insert opinion or leading words
  • Includes supporting video, direct statements, or photos

Click here to read more about our rating system.

As the most reliable and balanced news aggregation service on the internet, DML News offers the following information published by TMJ4.COM:

A local woman’s death was possibly caused by an infection from a dog lick, the same infection that is plaguing one West Bend man.

Earlier this month Greg Manteufel developed a similar infection,  resulting in the amputation of his hands and legs. Doctors believe it was from a bacteria transferred to him when a dog licked him.

The article goes on to state the following:

Sharon Larson had just gotten a puppy. It nipped at her, causing a minor cut. A day after taking him to the vet for a check-up, Sharon was rushed to the hospital.

“I was told she could get struck by lightning four times and live, win the lottery twice,” said Sharon’s husband Dan Larson. “that’s how rare this is supposed to be.

Dan is still in shock. He thought she had the flu.

“General antibiotics that they put her on didn’t do anything,” he said.

Within two days at Wheaton Franciscan in Franklin, Sharon was dead, at 58-years-old.

NBC News further reported on the rare, deadly infection:

Two recent cases of a rare infection are raising awareness — and anxiety — about the risks of interacting with dogs and cats.

Sharon Larson of South Milwaukee died on June 23 at age 58, after her dog nipped her hand. Starting that same month, Greg Manteufel, 48, of nearby West Bend, Wisconsin, lost both hands and both lower legs to amputation to save his life. Though he came into contact with a few dogs, he said, he was not bitten by any of them.

In both patients’ blood, doctors found the bacteria Capnocytophaga canimorsus.

Capnocytophaga is a relatively common bacteria in dogs and cats. It’s harmless to them, but it can sicken humans. People with low immune systems are most at risk, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but even then, infection is unlikely.

To weigh in on this information provided by TMJ4.COM, engage in our LIVE CHAT below. Scroll down.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here