Woman surviving cancer battle dies after eating contaminated oysters

Support our flag. Get the bumper sticker. CLICK HERE

A woman who was vacationing with her husband in Mississippi, died last Thursday after eating raw oysters that were contaminated.

Jane White Cunningham, 56, of Texas, had several limbs removed prior to her death in an effort to fight the infection, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Cunningham had been battling leukemia since 2016.

Jane’s husband, David, said she was in a lot of pain due to the immense swelling in her extremities. He wrote in an Aug. 8 Facebook post: “Today they had to amputate both legs and her left arm in an attempt to save her life as the infection was spreading rapidly.”

Cunningham sought medical treatment at Gulfport Mississippi Hospital, with doctors pointing to the bacteria, Vibrio, as a cause of the infection, CBS DFW reported.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Vibrio, which can be found in raw seafood, is particularly dangerous to those with weakened immune systems. It causes an estimated 80,000 illness and 100 deaths in the U.S. each year. The majority of infections strike between May and October when water temperatures are typically warmer.

JOIN THE MOVEMENT to SAVE THE NATIONAL ANTHEM
Please join the thousands of DML readers who have purchased a bumper sticker. CLICK HERE.

If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).

To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.







 

Comment via Facebook

 

Comment via Disqus

Send this to a friend