Wray’s testimony on Porter contradicts White House statement (video)

Support Team DML. Get the bumper sticker. CLICK HERE

Tuesday, FBI Director Christopher Wray answered questions during a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing, and his testimony, under oath, appeared to directly contradict the White House response about ousted aid Rob Porter and what they knew – and when – about Porter’s background.

The Wall Street Journal reported on Wray’s testimony:

The head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation said his agency first flagged issues with its background check of Rob Porter to the administration in March, a timeline that conflicts with what the White House said it knew about the former aide’s past.

Mr. Porter resigned last week amid accusations that he physically abused two ex-wives. He has denied the allegations.

Director Christopher Wray told the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday that the FBI last year gave multiple updates to the White House on its findings about Mr. Porter. After sharing a partial report on Mr. Porter in March, the FBI provided its completed background check on Mr. Porter to the White House in July, Mr. Wray said. The White House asked follow-up questions, he said, and the FBI provided answers to those in November.

In January, the FBI “administratively closed” Mr. Porter’s file, Mr. Wray said. Earlier this month, the agency received “some additional information, and we passed that on as well,” he said. Mr. Porter didn’t receive a permanent national security clearance, according to White House officials.

“I’m quite confident that in this particular instance, the FBI followed existing protocols,” Mr. Wray added.

The FBI is responsible for conducting background checks on White House officials, but the decision on whether to issue a clearance rests with the White House.

Mr. Wray’s timeline strayed from the sequence of events offered by White House officials, who have said repeatedly in recent days that the FBI’s investigation into Mr. Porter was “ongoing.”

Below is White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders responding to the matter on Porter at Monday’s press briefing:

For more on this story, click the "read more" button below.

READ MORE

"BUILD THE WALL" bumper stickers now on sale. (BUY NOW)

If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).

To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.







 

Comment via Facebook

Send this to a friend