More than 400 radicalized jihadists have returned home to the U.K. amid ISIS’ demise in Syria, and thousands more are expected. Now, the British government has concocted a scheme to “bribe” them with free housing and education so that they won’t carry out further attacks at home.
Saad Babir, a Yazidi journalist from Iraqi Kurdistan, who now lives in Lincoln, Nebraska, told Conatus News that this is a horrible idea and extremely disrespectful to terrorists’ victims.
Code-named Operation Constrain, the controversial effort to prevent terrorists from acting out once they return home, involves awarding up to 20,000 extremists currently under investigation by MI5 with taxpayer-funded council homes, counseling, and help finding jobs, according to a report in the Daily Mail on Monday.
Set to begin next year, the strategy could even allow fanatics to jump to the top of council house and education waiting lists.
Police and councils are counting on the British taxpayers to pay for it out of the government’s £900 million counter-terrorism budget.
“I think that housing terrorists and integrating them into society is not an appropriate way to respect victims of their actions,” said Babir, who pointed out that families have been devastated by ISIS-inspired terrorism.
“Children became orphans, women were widowed, and parents lost their children because of these extremists. People were deprived of their basic human rights. Many were left homeless. I think these terrorists should be investigated with the help of those who suffered at their hands but survived.”
One such case occurred in Germany in 2016, when a Yazidi woman receiving psychological treatment recognized an ISIS militant who had assaulted her for four months.
Babir also noted that the reintegration plan would put the U.K. at greater risk because returning jihadists “will get stronger with time. They must go through a heavy investigation process to be sentenced and penalized fairly instead of offering them living options.”
Earlier this year, the United Nations approved a resolution to investigate ISIS for war crimes. So far, ISIS militants have yet to be prosecuted.
If you would like to receive Breaking News text alerts on a smartphone or tablet, download the DML APP which is completely FREE and easy to use. Go to the Google Play Store or the IOS App Store and search for DML APP. Be sure to keep the app’s notifications setting on. Another way to receive alerts is to text to 40404 the following message: follow @realdennislynch (be sure to put a space between the word follow and the @ symbol).
To see more stories like this, sign up below for Dennis Michael Lynch’s email newsletter.
Sign up to get breaking news alerts from Dennis Michael Lynch.
Peyton Manning’s sexual harassment accuser speaks out